Temporary Permits

A Temporary Permit is a paper license plate which may expire in 60 days. This permit is issued by a Colorado dealer when you purchase a new or used vehicle through the dealership. When the purchase of a vehicle is made from a private party, the new owner may obtain a temporary permit from our office. A bill of sale or the properly signed and notarized title is required to obtain a permit.

New owner with title in hand - NO TEMP- will get regular plates

New owner with bill of sale -1 temp- per Gilpin County

This permit may also be used to take a vehicle from Colorado to another state for licensing. Effective July 1, 2006, regardless of purchase date, the only person(s) that may pick up a title, plates or temporary in the County they reside in must be the named owner of the vehicle. If not the named owner a notarized power of attorney will be required.

A second permit may be issued when a problem is discovered in the paperwork necessary for transfer of title to the new owner. A second permit is issued at our discretion and may be issued for less than 60 days.

A temporary permit may not be issued for any vehicle without proof of insurance coverage and ID.

The fee for a temporary permit is $7.08 plus taxes (sales tax on vehicle purchase price)

Back to Motor Vehicles Home

Gilpin County | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2021 Intrado Corporation.